Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pot Roast with a Dijon Cream Sauce

Pot Roast with a Dijon Cream Sauce
 This is a recipe that I saw floating around Facebook. What caught my eye about this pot roast recipe was the cream sauce. I've never made a pot roast with a cream sauce, but I loved that idea. 


This was originally written as a crock pot recipe, but since it called for searing the meat before adding it to the crock pot, I just decided to cook it in the same pot on the stove top. I don't like to wash extra pots if I don't have to. I've converted many crock pot recipes into stove top recipes simply by simmering the ingredients in a large covered pot for 3 hours on the stove top, instead of cooking on low in a crock pot for 6 hours. Works perfectly every time!

I usually make my pot roasts in the oven such as in these 2 very easy scrumptious recipes I've posted below!


Marsala Pot Roast
Click here for recipe
Portuguese Pot Roast
Click here for recipe
But this stove top method below is just as easy! The cream sauce comes together quickly and easily from the pan juices...so no extra pots or pans to wash...YAY! The meat is so tender that it falls apart when thinly sliced! Perfect for sandwiches! The cream sauce has a nice tanginess from the sour cream and a richness from the Dijon mustard and white wine.  The onions and garlic are almost totally melted down from the long slow simmering process, but the big flavors still remain! I served mine with oven roasted broccoli, but potatoes would be another great choice! You will be dipping every last slice of this pot roast in that luscious cream sauce AND you will probably be going back for more. This recipe makes about 2 quarts of cream sauce so you'll have plenty to enjoy with every bite!


Pot Roast with a Dijon Cream Sauce
Pot Roast with a Dijon Cream Sauce

INGREDIENTS:
4 lbs. beef bottom round roast, trim most of the fat
kosher salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbls. butter
1 large sweet onion, sliced thin
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine, not cooking wine
1 Tbls. Dijon mustard
3/4 cup sour cream, I used fat free
3 Tbls. flour

DIRECTIONS:
Season all sides of the trimmed beef with a light
 sprinkling of kosher salt and pepper.
Melt butter on medium heat
in a very large pot with a lid or in a Dutch oven.
Sear the beef on all sides in the melted butter. Then remove the beef from the pot and quickly add the onions to the pot. Stir and cook the onions until lightly browned, about 1-2 minutes.
Then stir in the garlic, wine and mustard with the onions.
Now add the seared beef back into the pot with the onion mixture.
Reduce heat and bring to a simmer.
Then cover pot and simmer for 2 & 1/2 - 3 hours.
Then remove beef to a cutting board and tent it with foil.
In a small bowl mix together the sour cream
and the flour until well combined.
Add this sour cream mixture to the pot and whisk until thickened.
Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
Keep this cream sauce warm while you slice the beef.
Serve the warm sliced beef with the cream sauce on top.
Serves about 4 - 6 people

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this. I'm always looking for something just a little different for my roasts and this looks like something we would all like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kelli! I feel the same way...I get tired of the same old same old basic recipes! I love a new twist on the classics! Makes it more fun to cook...and eat! =D

      Delete

Your kind comments are always welcome, so please leave one...Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...